Tax Rebate on Uniform

Does your job require you to clean, repair, or replace your uniform all by yourself? Despite the fact that if you could wear something else to work you would? These seemingly minor costs add up over time. You may have thought to yourself, “Well, it’s just part of the job. It is what it is.” Well you aren’t wrong in this thought process, however what you may not know is this simple act and cost can be re-appropriated to you through a process call The Uniform Tax Rebate.

The amount this rebate amends to you varies dependent on the type of industry you work for. The Standard flat rate expense allowance (FREA) for general uniform maintenance is £60 for the 2015/2016 tax season meaning that a basic-rate tax payer will be able to claim £12 back, or 20% of £60, and the higher-rated tax payers will be able to claim £24 or 40% of £60 back in their tax forms. Since the £60 is a flat rate there is no documentation required and there is no reason to report the amounts you spend.

Claim Uniform Tax Rebate from HMRC

There are certain occupations where this flat-rate is lifted and can be increased up to a maximum of £140 flat-rate meaning lower-rate payers would receive £28 and a high-rate would receive £56 if they qualify in one of these job categories. There are a wide array of jobs in this scenario from Airliner employees to electricity supply employees, check online for a full list of these different jobs where the standard rate is increased.

Depending on how long you are wearing the uniform, as in tax years, you can claim up to four of the past years you have had your uniform wearing job. A uniform wearing job is qualified from anything to Doctor or Nurse to just a branded t-shirt at a retail establishment, so this is a very broad rebate available to many. There is a caveat to this, if you’ve already registered yourself already in a uniform job your taxes already reflect this rebate or if your employer is covering your expenses you cannot claim this relief.

To claim this uniform tax rebate there’s two ways to go about it. The first, and most convenient, requires you to sign in online to HMRC or various services that claim uniform tax rebate like simple tax rebate, navigate to the tax relief for expenses of employment page, the P87, and fill in the form. The other way is to submit by post by filling out then printing the P87 from the same website with information such as Employer’s name and address, your occupation, job title, industry sector, your NIN, PAYE reference, the rate you’re claiming, and how you want to be paid. The form details with about every other expense you may claim, anything else you may be responsible with from your employer, and after all this is done you will receive a letter from the HMRC Tax Refund on your uniform telling you how much you’re entitled to and when the money will be sent to you.

While claiming the P87 make sure to note any other expenses that may have been put on your through your employment. If you’re traveling overseas make clear the costs of your visas or vaccinations required, or if you’re buying your own equipment tally the expenses involved there as well. If you have a job that requires certain registrations to perform it, then there’s a chance that these costs are included as well. Union fees and compulsory subscriptions to groups can be included as well if these are required to do your duties. Almost anything that is required to be paid by you to do your job properly can be listed in the same form as the Uniform Rebate Tax.

If you have claimed this form in the past, then you have a third option available to you. Generally, your tax code will be adjusted and you won’t have to worry about this, but if this hasn’t happened this can be fixed with a simple phone call. As long as you’re claiming expenses less than £1,000, you can call 0300 200 3300 which is open 8 AM to 8 PM Monday through Friday and 8 AM to 4 PM Saturdays. Generally, after this the HMRC will send you a P810 Tax Review form to fill out, which checks that your tax code is indeed correct and will also allow you to fill out for tax relief. If it’s over £1,000 that you’re claiming or you have switched jobs partway through the year more forms will be required but still make the phone call.

Beyond the uniform tax rebate form, the P87 form allows one to claim multiple expenses occurred onto you due to your employment. Besides the uniform expenses, another common expense that can be written off with this form is the business mileage expenses. This is known as AMAP (Authorized Mileage Allowance Payments) relief. To obtain this rebate you must provide details of your total business mileage split between the first 10,000 miles and miles above 10,000. An easy way to obtain an accurate record of your business travels is using a GPS app that allows the tracking of your destinations, time, and mileage incurred that can simply be copied to your P87 form.

There are many more expenses you may claim beyond these mentioned with the P87 rebate form, and there’s a full list available on the HMRC website. Such additional items that can be included are equipment and tools purchased or fees paid to professional organizations. Be cautious though, as certain expenses such as the initial cost of buying clothes, for instance, is not tax-deductible and may cause issues for you if claiming them. If the HMRC find your deduction, not in line with their records then you will be charged a fee and interest based on the cost claimed. The Uniform Tax Rebate alongside the P87 form allows a worker to claim almost any expense that has been probably caused by their employer and helps relieve that burden from the tax paying worker of all earning powers.